In the dead of winter, it’s actually the perfect time to throw a house party. everyone always saves their party plans for the summer. and then you have so many invites you can’t possibly make them all. and if you’re a gemini, libra, sagittarius, leo or aries, fughettabout it. you are so going to have to disappoint more than one of your friends for it is simply not possible to be in more than one place at a time. well, actually that’s not true. there is such a thing a “bilocation.” but that’s another post. in the winter, people are SAD, they are cold and they could use some could some good vibes more than ever. so have i convinced you yet to start planning your menu? choosing your theme? making favors? penning your invites? i hope so! winter is the time for house parties. so if you decide to cut the rug, your next job is event planner. one of the main reasons people don’t throw parties is because it’s overwhelming and stressful. if you let it be. i love love love to throw parties. i am naturally very organized so that’s easy for me, but i know it’s not for everyone. and i love to design the theme, and make the flavor and create the menu. i am in my glory doing this. but i know that’s not everyone’s thing, but it can be. here is a simple check list for your winter party:
1. make an outline and checklist and don’t stray from it. getting caught up in too much detail is a pitfall. yes, details make or break you, but don’t let em get the better of you.
2. speaking of details, the favor is a big deal. if it’s just a casual event i guess you don’t really need one. but it’ so fun to get a favor… if you are following proper party etiquetter, then it’s only good manners to give a goodie at the end of the night. if you’re crafty like me, you can whip something up. but, even if you are crafty, time is a constant challenge these days. purchasing a custom favor is your solution. if you are inviting a lot of type As to your shindig, how bout a stress ball?
pens are an awesome token that will be kept and if it was a good night, treasured! i love souvenir pen. i guess it’s because i’m a capricorn, the pragmatic sign, where everything must have a use. of course one of the coolest favors you could give would be custom barware.
3. the menu. now it gets tricky. i’m a pain in the ass, first to admit it. my last boyfriend cited my diet as one of the reasons he broke up with me. i was too difficult to feed and he liked to cook. so, there are more and more people like moi in the world every day. which is a good thing, ha ha! so, you want to have stuff for everyone. not just vegetarian, but VEGAN fare. then, instead of red meat, just choose a chicken dish. who doesn’t like chicken? you really only need a few dishes and some apps and your good. tray also and provide some GMO-FREE fare. i won’t touch anything GMO with a ten foot pole. sugar is also on the outs, so have some stevia on hand to serve with coffee.
4. the drinks. maybe the MOST important element of your soiree. always have a nice non-alcoholic option available. not just iced tea. lame! but a real bonified mocktail. something you put some thought into. zero-proof drink are a big trend right now. even for peeps who drink, we’re tired of waking up with hangovers. so, when i go out, i’ll drink a combination of liquor and non-liquor drinks. make a couple pitcher drinks up, like punches and make your life easy. don’t forget about WATER. totally under rated and overlooked. SO IMPORTANT. why not infuse some pitchers of water with mint while you’re at it?
5. music. ok, this is not my forte, but i do know that you need stuff on hand to switch when the mood of the party changes. you don’t want to be fumbling for something to play. or worse, asking your guests to borrow their playlist. get your shit together in the tunes department before the guests arrive. music is the great healer… don’t underestimate it’s power. have something slow, steady, fast on hand.
6. help. if you need it, which i think you do wonder woman… then arrange it. you don’t want to be slaving in front of your guests. you want to be out schmoozing with the guests. get all the “stuff” done before your friends start trickling in. and don’t forget to look hot. i always tell people to keep an apron or two on hand. and if you have to something that could potentially get messy, slip one on and remove it just a quickly. aprons are integral to a smooth party operation.
so, this is party on gwen, signing off… and hoping your invite yours truly to your winter bash!